Fashion Week in Images: Tumblr Leads the Way
The haute couture-Tumblr link has occurred because of the fashion bloggers' tendency to scrapbook, to find something they like (or something they once forgot, like an early nineties Sassy ad), and post it on the site. Quickly, the community reblogs, spreading the image around. These images become themed, reposted, and a part of a growing community, one that is suddenly seeing major players step in. Vogue, Glamour and Women's Wear Daily have realized they need a Tumblr presence, like the strange bird of Twitter before it, in order to keep up with all the writers combing their archives to achieve page views.
To perfectly capture this momentum, Tong and Tumblr have stepped in to create the official tumblr.com/nyfw, a space for all things Fashion Week, modeled after the cleanly designed page for the tag tumblr.com/directory/fashion. For its first official Fashion Week coverage, Tong has created a three-tiered system. "The top tier will be a stream of content coming from major different sources, like The Cut, Lucky, V Mag, Vogue. We'll pick select content to make it onto the site." The second tier is less official, but still uber-connected, composed of industry insiders like brands, photographers or PR houses. "This group of people have great access and a really interesting perspective," Tong explains. The last layer belongs to Tumblr's top bloggers, handpicked for their unique take on fashion, by Tong himself. "We wanted bloggers who have done interesting things on the Tumblr platform. We wanted something beyond just 'style' bloggers, but those who have given their Tumblr their own character." Among the 24 bloggers being included in the feed are Peace, Love and Chanel, What I Wore and The Clothes Horse. "What we are hoping for," Tong says, "is the most comprehensive view of Fashion Week."
Besides the dedicated online space, each of the chosen Tumblr reporters will actually get to attend Fashion Week, getting to express their own take on the fast-paced proceedings. After attending high profile shows like Oscar de la Renta and Carolina Hererra, the Tumblr team can go back and put their own personalized spin on the coverage. And Tong? "I'm just going to be marching around, following all 24 of them making sure we don't lose one!" A wild, fashionable Tumblr-led blogger brigade, then.
Tumblr Partners With Fashion Week
- Dazed Digital: The home of the British It-Mag is one of the most reblogged fashion Tumblrs our there.
- Purple Diary: No one does backstage images with more finesse.
- Textbook: A part of Tumblr's blogger package, this blog takes literary figures and applies fashion inspiration to their legacy.
- A Fashion Week: A veritable Who's Who of any model on the catwalk each season.
- 9th space: One of the most prolific blogs around, 9th Space scours the Tumbl-sphere for truly unique images.
- Juergen Teller: The world famous photographer shows off his exquisite eye.
- Oscar PR Girl: An example of how a PR firm can really embrace new media, without being overtly self-promoting.
- Fashion Check: A smattering of Fashion Week, street style, and models.
- stylelist: This Tumblr specializes in hair and makeup, and the beauty shenanigans that occur backstage.
- W Magazine: A part of the official Tumblr coverage, W focuses on nightlife and celebrity.
- Models Galore: Take a look at the faces that will flood Fashion Week.
- Glamour: A stoic, classic glimpse at the high-end world of fashion..