Lazy horror movie creators definitely overuse the haunted gadget routine. Tapping into people's mistrust of technology and their fear of the unknown
, directors frequently regurgitate stories
involving cursed televisions, radios, movies and cell phones. One of those film themes may be experiencing a mysterious reversal in reality, though, as a Bulgarian mobile firm has reportedly suspended the use of a murderous cell number.
Since 2001, three owners of the deadly digits (0888 888 888) have suffered untimely deaths
. The first, Vladimir Grashnov, died of cancer in 2001 at the age of 48. Reputed mob boss Konstantin Dimitrov next received the number, and then an assassin promptly snuffed out the 31-year-old in 2003. Two years later, unknown gunmen gruesomely murdered the next owner, Konstantin Dishliev. While police investigated Dishliev's demise, Mobitel suspended the number, and the firm has apparently now deemed it completely unusable
. According to the Telegraph, "Callers now get a recorded message saying the phone is 'outside network coverage.'"
If true, cursed numbers can certainly provide a terrifying new folk tale, but the death-by-digits horror story
still pales in comparison to being constantly monitored, scalded and ridiculed by the irritating iPhone ghost of Steve Jobs
. [From: The Huffington Post
and The Telegraph
Oops, These Gadgets Exploded!
No matter how many times it happens, stories of exploding gadgets always catch our eye. Despite being (mostly) unassuming, we're always taken by surprise whenever a device spontaneously combusts. For your enjoyment, here are seven stories of exploding phones, iPhones, and other devices.
3G iPhone Catches Fire
On Saturday, February 28, 2009, Tim Colbourne, an Italian blogger based in Rome, plugged his iPhone 3G into his computer's USB port. Just a few hours later, it caught fire, resulting in one very dead iPhone. Fortunately for Colbourne, Apple replaced the handset.
Cell Phone Charger Blamed for Blaze in Delaware
In late summer 2008, a mobile home near Millsboro, Delaware caught fire, causing over $30,000 in damages. While details are slim, the culprit appeared to be a malfunctioning cell phone charger.
iPod Lights Man's Pants on Fire
Danny Williams, a Douglasville, Georgia native (he worked at a kiosk in Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport), suddenly looked down to find flames leaping up his chest. It turns out Williams's iPod Nano's lithium-ion battery had burst into flames; fortunately, he was uninjured and Apple replaced the defective Nano.
Michigan Boy Burnt By Pocketed PlayStation Portable (PSP)
Back in February of 2008 in Farmington Hills, Michigan, a PlayStation Portable overheated in a middle school boy's pocket, causing second-degree burns. Proving the cosmos has a sense of humor, the disc inside the PSP was a popular driving game called 'Burnout.'
iPod Nano Catches Fire While Owner Snoozes
In another case of incendiary iProducts, an iPod nano owner posted to the Nike Talk online messageboard that he was awakened early one morning by a screeching fire alarm, set off by his Nano bursting into flames.
Pregnant Woman's Nokia Phone Battery Explodes
A pregnant woman in India suffered mild burns when her three year old Nokia exploded ten minutes after she plugged it in to the charger. Nokia claims it was an isolated incident.
Cell Phone Battery Explodes, Kills Worker
On June 18, 2007, a 22-year old Chinese welder was killed when the battery on his cell phone (located in his shirt pocket) exploded. The battery's eruption cracked a rib and embedded the battery pack into the worker's heart; unfortunately the man died just after arriving at the hospital.