If you're going to market a cell phone
as "unbreakable," you better make darn sure that it is, in fact, unbreakable. Otherwise, it's like painting a bull's-eye on your back and walking around town telling folks you're Superman.
During a CES 2010
demonstration, BBC News reporter Dan Simmons called one manufacturer's bluff, and felled its supposed cell of steel. In this hilarious outtake
, Sonim CEO Bob Plaschke tells Simmons that he could drop the Sonim XP1
from a 10-story building, leave it under 20 feet of water for 30 minutes, and even hammer a nail with it. "If you find a way to break it, we're going to give you a free phone," Plaschke tells the reporter.
Simmons proceeds to dunk the phone into an aquarium, pulls it out of the water, and the phone's still ringing. Since that didn't kill it, Simmons goes one step further. He smashes the phone, screen first, into the sharp corner of the fish tank. As you might expect, the screen shatters, and Sonim's ridiculous marketing slogan along with it. [From: BBC News
Oops, These Gadgets Exploded!
No matter how many times it happens, stories of exploding gadgets always catch our eye. Despite being (mostly) unassuming, we're always taken by surprise whenever a device spontaneously combusts. For your enjoyment, here are seven stories of exploding phones, iPhones, and other devices.
3G iPhone Catches Fire
On Saturday, February 28, 2009, Tim Colbourne, an Italian blogger based in Rome, plugged his iPhone 3G into his computer's USB port. Just a few hours later, it caught fire, resulting in one very dead iPhone. Fortunately for Colbourne, Apple replaced the handset.
Cell Phone Charger Blamed for Blaze in Delaware
In late summer 2008, a mobile home near Millsboro, Delaware caught fire, causing over $30,000 in damages. While details are slim, the culprit appeared to be a malfunctioning cell phone charger.
iPod Lights Man's Pants on Fire
Danny Williams, a Douglasville, Georgia native (he worked at a kiosk in Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport), suddenly looked down to find flames leaping up his chest. It turns out Williams's iPod Nano's lithium-ion battery had burst into flames; fortunately, he was uninjured and Apple replaced the defective Nano.
Michigan Boy Burnt By Pocketed PlayStation Portable (PSP)
Back in February of 2008 in Farmington Hills, Michigan, a PlayStation Portable overheated in a middle school boy's pocket, causing second-degree burns. Proving the cosmos has a sense of humor, the disc inside the PSP was a popular driving game called 'Burnout.'
iPod Nano Catches Fire While Owner Snoozes
In another case of incendiary iProducts, an iPod nano owner posted to the Nike Talk online messageboard that he was awakened early one morning by a screeching fire alarm, set off by his Nano bursting into flames.
Pregnant Woman's Nokia Phone Battery Explodes
A pregnant woman in India suffered mild burns when her three year old Nokia exploded ten minutes after she plugged it in to the charger. Nokia claims it was an isolated incident.
Cell Phone Battery Explodes, Kills Worker
On June 18, 2007, a 22-year old Chinese welder was killed when the battery on his cell phone (located in his shirt pocket) exploded. The battery's eruption cracked a rib and embedded the battery pack into the worker's heart; unfortunately the man died just after arriving at the hospital.