12 Gadgets That Saved People's Lives
Call it a stroke of luck, the hands of fate, or a touch from God. No matter what you call it, there's no denying gadgets have helped saved some lives. So keep that gadget close by, folks. You never know when your time is up.
2) While hiding under a tree during a storm in England, 14-year-old Sophie Frost was struck by lightning. The bolt shot across her body instead of through it, thanks to the iPod headphones hanging from her neck. She suffered only some burns and a fright.
3) When Hans Jorgen Olsen and his sister ran across a moose in Norway, the 12-year-old didn't panic. Instead, he taunted the moose so his sister could escape, which is a move he learned while playing 'World of Warcraft.'
4) While mowing his lawn, Ronald Richard was hit in the chest by a stray .45 caliber bullet . The bullet was stopped by the Motorola RAZR clipped onto his chest, which not only saved his life but gave him one hell of a bar story.
5) After becoming lost while snowboarding, Sebastian Gomez was alone, except for his iPod. When Gomez heard a helicopter buzzing overhead, he switched it on and waved the glowing screen in the air. Wearing night vision goggles, rescuers spotted the teenager and brought him to safety.
6) A couple of French tourists got lost on a ski trip in Switzerland. After contacting rescuers via cell phone, the batteries soon died. Fortunately, the pair had packed their iPods before leaving home. Rescuers flying overhead spotted the lighted screen and saved both folks.
7) We've determined that a cell phone can stop a bullet, but what about an iPod? When Kevin Garrad of the 3rd Infantry Division was struck by a bullet in Iraq, his iPod took the blow -- stopping the bullet from piercing his body armor. So, yes.
8) After blacking out in a swimming pool, a 10-year-old Welsh girl was rescued by lifeguards who saw the potentially fatal events unfolding on a set of underwater cameras that link to a computer system. 10 seconds later, the girl was rescued.
9) When chef Mark Williams was bitten on the hand by a spider while cleaning his freezer, he turned to his cell phone to help doctors identify the culprit . Williams pinged a picture to Bristol Zoo employees, who identified the arachnid, and doctors treated the bite.
10) A Croatian man ran over something a little more dangerous than an anthill while mowing his lawn . The unidentified man detonated a hand grenade, but he was saved from harm thanks to his lawn mower. Yet another reason to dislike yard work.
11) Technically, it isn't a gadget, but it did save a life in Kansas City. Police found a bullet lodged in Briana Bonds' hair weave after her boyfriend, Juan, repeatedly shot her car while she sat inside it. She must use some strong hairspray.
12) After falling 70-feet down a crevice while skiing the Matterhorn, David Fitzherbert became lodged in the icy crack thanks to the extra girth his half-inch-wide cell phone added to his chest. A rescue team dug, drilled and pulled him to safety.