iPhone 3.0 Update Brings Much Needed New Features
The wait is over! Well, the wait to know what we're waiting for is over.
The iPhone 3.0 update is coming, and honestly, it's not coming soon enough. We'll have to wait until this June, when the iPhone will get a major software update that will bring boatloads of new features to everyone's favorite multi-touch cell phone. Of course, many of these features, such as support for Multi-Media-Messaging (MMS), have been on other smart phones for years. Check out the bullet list after the break for what to expect, and hit up Engadget for more in-depth coverage.
- MMS support: You'll be able to send multimedia messages (this won't be available on the first generation iPhone, unfortunately)
- Landscape keyboard: Tilt the iPhone/touch horizontally and the landscape keyboard will now work with e-mail, SMS, and notes. Finally!
- Copy-and-paste of text: Again, finally!
- Push notification: This means that if you're drafting an e-mail, you'll be able to receive alerts from apps that aren't open, such as when you receive a new instant message.
- Support for turn-by-turn directions using GPS: There is no GPS in the 1st gen iPhone, so so another no-go for early adopters)
- Subscription and in-app purchases. We think that e-book purchases through the iPhone Kindle app can't be far off.
- Spotlight: Similar to Mac OS X's system-wide search utility, this is a new app that lets you search everything on your iPhone, including contacts, calendar appointments, apps, and e-mail.
- More Bluetooth profiles: The update will provide support for A2DP (stereo Bluetooth headphones) and P2P networking capabilities for exchanging information such as contacts and multiplayer gaming (also not available on 1st gen iPhone, alas)
- Custom apps for interacting with hardware accessories: The new programs include an equalizer for speakers, and a blood sugar monitor for diabetics. In addition, there's an updated stock app and a new voice memo app.
- Support for new calendar formats: CalDAV and subscriptions to .ics calendars