The Web's Most Annoying Words
Rounding out the poll's top three are pop-culture favs "blogosphere" and "blog," both inspired by the explosion of "web log" popularity and influence. "Wiki," a user-generated knowledgebase, came tenth.
We at Switched have our own list of irritating Interneticisims:
- Dubdubdub - Not as part of a fable, but when used as a pronunciation for "WWW."
- Earl - We love the Duke, but not when his name is used as a pronunciation for "URL" (often by dubdubdubbers).
- Google - Google is great, but not as a verb.
- Web 2.0 - This is perhaps the most cliched term in Internet use today.
- Podcast - It's just a recording of you talking into a microphone. Stop trying to make it sound cooler.
- Internets - Actually this one's pretty funny. It's just that we get all depressed when we think about its origin.