Top 25 Tech Inventions of the Last 25 Years
USA Today is running a series of top 25 lists in honor of its 25th anniversary. Their list, "25 Years of 'Eureka' Moments", is a collection of the top 25 inventions of the last 25 years. All the usual suspects are there: Cell phones, laptops, DVD's, iPods, salad in a bag ...
Wait... salad in a bag? Anyway, other items include Karaoke, The StairMaster, and Purell hand sanitizer for the hypochondriacs and obsessive compulsives.
- The GameBoy: The original GameBoy sold over 70 million units and brought us solid portable gaming.
- GPS for the masses: Sure, GPS has been around for a long time, but the death of the map on the back seat is upon us, and our safety/sanity/trees thank us.
- Voice Mail: Remember tape-based answering machines? Yeah, we're trying to forget as well.
- MP3s: Say what you want about the iPod, but if it wasn't for the tiny MP3 file, we'd never be able to carry 5,000 songs in our pocket.
- eBay & PayPal: That junk in your garage? Someone's willing to pay for it on eBay. Trust us.
- Wi-Fi: Wireless Internet was the final step toward making laptops truly portable.
From USA Today
- The World's Ugliest Gadgets
- Best Free Stuff on the Internet
- 25 Innovations That Shaped the Net
- Top 15 Tech Myths